Monday, May 18, 2015

Irresistible Lemon Cookies


This is another recipe passed down to me from Sandi this year.  (I wrote about her and her delicious Nana’s Cake and Apple Coleslaw recipes in an earlier post).  Sandi had told me about these cookies, that she found on the blog, Chef in Training.  She explained how delicious and irresistible they were.  She brought them to small group one week and we all went crazy…to the point that we were driven to do math to figure out how to slice up the remaining few cookies on the plate to divide evenly amongst the group members! 

These cookies have a lot going for them.  They have a great texture: a little crispy on the outside and chewy on the inside.  They are buttery.  They are lemony (with zest and fresh lemon juice). And they have a lemon glaze on top!  They are zippy but not too tart! (My tart-sensitive child loves them, which is a good gauge.  She is pretty much the barometer of most things in our home.*)

When I made them a couple of weeks ago, I ate one and then another.
And then I packed some up in a to-go container** to share with friends, the Joneses, as they were headed on a journey.  And then I ate another one.  So then I put 4 on a plate to take two-doors down to Lindsey for her family of 4, so there would be less temptation in my house. 
The hilarious part was that I later got a text from Matt, her husband, that said,
“I ate 3--yes, 3—lemon cookies last night. So, so good.  Thank you!”
To which I replied, “I love it! I’m honored. Who was the recipient of the one other cookie I gave you all?”
To which he replied, “Lindsey! We opted against sharing with the boys.”

Sounds like a strategic parenting decision.

Here's the recipe:












Cookie dough
1 cup butter, softened
1½ cups sugar
1 egg
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. Lemon zest
1 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking powder
2¼ cups flour

Lemon glaze
1½ cup powdered sugar
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
1 Tbsp. lemon zest
1 Tbsp. milk
¼ tsp. vanilla

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar together.
Add egg and beat in well.
Add lemon juice, lemon zest and vanilla and mix until well blended.
Add salt, baking powder and flour and mix until well incorporated.
Chill dough or use immediately.  ( I find they have a nice shape if you refrigerate the dough until firm).
Roll/Scoop cookies into 1 inch balls and place on greased cookie sheet.
Space cookie dough balls about 2 inches apart from each other.

Bake at 350 ˚ for 8-10 minutes or until lightly golden on the edges of cookies.

Combine glaze ingredients in a medium bowl and whisk until smooth glaze is formed. Drizzle as much as desired over slightly warmed cookies and let finish cooling completely before eating.
Footnotes
*If you are curious about this comment, about my daughter being the barometer of our family, here’s a little more on that topic.

I was introduced to this concept from Mary Sheedy Kurchinka in Raising Your Spirited Child.  It has helped me to understand her more (and pay more attention). 
According to the dictionary:

barometer |bəˈrämitər|
noun
·      an instrument measuring atmospheric pressure, used esp. in forecasting the weather and    determining altitude.
·      something that reflects changes in circumstances or opinions: furniture is a barometer of changing tastes.

So, when tensions are high, she is the instrument that “measures that” and then “indicates that”.  When it’s hot, or cold, or tense, or sad, or intense, or scary, or hostile, or sweet…she’s my sensitive one that feels all the feels and lets us know! So, when I see/hear/learn from her how it’s feeling to her, I can predict that she is giving the read on the situation. 

**To-Go containers.  My mom taught me this tip.  If you are someone who enjoys sharing food with people, this is a tip that I recommend.   Save your plastic containers from to-go food, or yogurt, or lunch-meat, or hummus, or whatever you buy in plastic containers.  And save them for when you are giving away food.  I personally don’t like to use them in my fridge for my leftovers because the labels confuse me! To see a  Greek Yogurt container in my fridge leads me to believe that I have Greek yogurt, when in fact, it is filled with homemade hummus.  However, they are great for giving food away! And… you don’t have to spend money on “disposable plastic wear”.  Our favorite is when we get Pei Wei to-go containers.  They are perfect for packing baked goods or anything really. 



Speaking of lemons…I am loving putting lemons, limes and mint (from my
yard) in my ice water these days! Refreshment!







6 comments:

  1. I am so happy I got to share an irresistible lemon cookie with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were so so good!!! A perfect treat on the road after a long, hot day. Thank you again!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a long hot day! Loved sending a goodie with you.

      Delete
  3. Julie! These are delicious! We love lemon and I've been looking for the perfect lemon cookie and here it is! Thank you for sharing! And thank you for loving Matt, Lindsey, and the boys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh good. Did you make them? Loving and being loved by your family is one our greatest blessings.

      Delete