Friday, December 30, 2011

Pizza Rolls for New Year's Fun!



I love New Year's Eve! Not because I get dressed up and go out on the town ringing in the new year.  (If you know me or my life circumstances, then you know that is not the case.  When you have 3 young kids, and are a homebody, this is not what New Year's looks like.) What I love about New Year's is that it is a marker, a rite of passage each year.  It is a distinct moment when one year is coming to an end and a new one is beginning.

This weekend is a chance to reflect on the past year, which I like to do.  I try to look through a lens of GRATITUDE for all that has happened and the blessings in my life.  I also try to STUDY the year gone by– to learn from the past.  And then look AHEAD at the new year – a clean page and new box of markers (or freshly sharpened pencils, or nice roller ball pens, whatever you like best) – and envision what could be.  I always set goals or hopes for the new year. It helps me set my course.

Another thing I relish about New Year's Eve is food.  I love finger foods.  I think Tapas (or a dinner comprised of appetizers) is a great meal to have on New Year's Eve or New Year's Day, if you have a gathering of friends. These Pizza Rolls are a long-time favorite. 

When I was a teenager, someone gave us this recipe for Pizza Rolls.  They were such a hit that they became a beloved party food of ours.  We have been racking our brains trying to figure out where we learned of them.  I called mom and she thought maybe they were from our family friend, Amy.  That didn't feel right.  I asked my sister and she agreed that she didn't think it came from Amy, but she couldn't remember.  So I called Amy and she said, "No, they aren't from me, I thought they were your family's creation.  I haven't made them in years, but I might now"!  Then I talked to mom again and we thought about our life-long friend, Tim.  He might be the one, or at least know the one... his mind is a steel trap!  He oftentimes recalls details from my life that I have forgotten.  Mom called him and he didn't know, but didn't claim to be the source of the recipe.  So, the mystery is not yet solved. We don't their past but we are glad they are in our present!  They are easy and tasty!

They are made out of frozen roll dough. Rich's or Rhodes are the name-brands that we've used, but you can usually find a store brand in the freezer section that are equally great.  If you haven't discovered frozen roll dough, you need to.  It is yummy tasting dough, very versatile and inexpensive! My breakfast sticky rolls are made out of them too.


Thaw the dough (according to the instructions on the package).
Press the dough to be a flattened disk.
Sprinkle with pizza cheese (mozzarella, or whatever you like), Italian seasoning, and whatever toppings you like (spinach and sun-dried tomatoes/ pepperoni/ ham/etc.)  Fill them as full as you can, so that the bread doesn't dominate them. 







 Then pinch the dough to form a tight pouch, without any gaps.

Dave and Lu- pinch by example
 Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
(We drew lines on the paper to indicate what was inside of each section.)


Let rise for a few minutes and bake according to dough package instructions.
Bake until golden.  Remove from the oven and brush with melted butter and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.


 Serve immediately with pasta sauce on the side.

notice that some of these were more powerful than the pinch
and they popped open!


We made them for dinner the other night, served with a salad and it was a great, different dinner.

The only time-consuming aspect of these is the thawing and rising, so read the dough package and plan accordingly!




Also, a favorite tradition is Chocolate Fondue for dessert, or as we call it Chocolate Fun-Do! I wrote about it last year- Read HERE for more details and recipe.  It's a delicious treat to share with friends.



Happy New Year! I'm thankful for a year of growth, joy, yummy food, rich conversations, good books, great people, teaching and being taught – a year of embracing.  And I'm looking forward to a new, fresh year of opportunity that awaits.  I am hoping to savor the moments of beauty in this new year.  Wishing you a happy, hopeful new year!

No comments:

Post a Comment